Whether it’s fishing, canoeing, kitesurfing, windsurfing or SUP, your performance and enjoyment can be greatly enhanced with the right pair of sunglasses. Eye-strain is reduced, glare is eliminated, and most importantly, eyes are protected during days spent outside! That’s why, as eyewear specialists at Edel-Optics, we thought it important to put all our tips for the best fishing sunglasses and watersports eyewear onto one page.
In selecting our top 9 favourites that are available in 2022, we’ve looked for models with the following criteria:
- Polarisation and anti-glare
- UV 400 protection
- Wrap around lenses or side guards
- Shatterproof or scratch resistance
- Floating or lightweight
- Hydrophobic coating
- Durable frame material
- Grey/blue base lens colour for deep/sea water
- Brown/amber base lens colour for shallow water
- Suitable for saltwater and/or freshwater
So without further ado, here are our 9 best sunglasses for fishing & water sports (in no particular order):
>>> 1) Oakley Split Shot Shallow Water for £163.55 / 2) Oakley Split Shot Deep Water for £163.55 <<<
Around the world anglers and water sports people alike rave about Oakley and their Split Shot sunglasses, so this had to come first in a list of best polarized sunglasses for fishing. Available in two lens variations for water sports, one for deep water and one for shallow water, the Split Shot frame was specifically designed for fishing:
- High wrap frame made of Lightweight O Matter™ made to fit under a cap
- Detachable, lightweight leash
- No-slip Unobtanium™ nosepad, which increases grip with perspiration
- Polarised PRIZM™, Iridium™ and HDPolarised coating eliminate glare and enhance colour and contrast
- Made of Oakley’s Plutonite™ material, which offers top UV 400 Protection against UVA and UVB rays
- Lenses meet or exceed ANSI Z80.3 optical and impact standards so are shatterproof
- HDO™ Optics ensures accurate vision
Which lens colour should I choose? The Shallow Water lens consists of a green mirror front with a brown base and enhances colour and contrast, which is important when in murky shallow waters. The Deep Water lens has a blue mirror front with a grey/rose base and is designed for use out at sea and in full-sun.
>>> 3) Oakley Flak XS for £130.98 <<<
The Oakley Flak range are great for active sea sports thanks to:
- Integrated ventilation
- Wrap around lenses
- Removable lenses (so can be used for other sports such as cycling or changing light conditions)
- Unobtanium™ nosepad
- Available with Deep Water lenses
>>> 4) Polaroid Floating Sunglasses for £43.51 <<<
Polaroid Sports offers a range of very practical and stylish polarized sunglasses with full UV protection. Our top pick are the floating sunglasses that are perfect for water sports thanks to:
- Polarized lenses,
- Rubber strap
- Light-weight floating
Perfect when kayaking if you don’t want to worry about being blinded by the sun or losing your sunglasses in the depths of the ocean. They also have great options for kids and smaller head sizes. Not to mention, they’re pretty budget friendly!
>>> 5) Gloryfy G13 for £144.09 <<<
The Austrian brand Gloryfy has been making a name for itself thanks to its quite literally unbreakable sunglasses. From firing at them with bullets to driving over them, YouTubers and Instagrammers alike have found any reason to put these glasses to the test, and they’ve come through with flying colours each time. Gloryfy lenses are shatterproof and scratch-resistant, making them perfect for eye protection during fly fishing. These sunglasses have also found popularity among many famous sports people including wakeboarders and windsurfers. For fishing or any other sport on water, we recommend the Gloryfy G13 as shown above, with many unique properties:
- NBFX TRIPOL Polarised lenses
- High optical clarity at an Abbe number of 45(especially when compared to typical polycarbonate lenses with an Abbe number of 31).
- TRIPOL polarisation technology enhances contrast, reduces eye-strain and eliminates glare Flexible frame allows you to easily swap out lenses depending on your environment or light conditions.
- Wide lenses protect the eyes from all angles, especially when you are fishing and don’t want a lead smashing the lenses and flying in your eyes!
>>> 6) Adidas SP 0006 for £74.92<<<
Adidas offers a range of stylish sunglasses designed for everyday use and sport, so they’re perfect if you want something to suit multiple situations. For example, check out the SP0006, a lightweight plastic frame with rubberised temples and comfortable nose pads, polarised lenses and ventilation.
>>> 7) SMITH Redding for £194.97 / 8) SMITH Barra for £109.83 / 9) SMITH Hookshot for £143.88<<<
SMITH has so many great polarized fishing sunglasses and sports eyewear that it’s hard to pick just one. Their impact-resistant, ChromaPopTM lenses with hydroleophobic coating and colour enhancing polarisation are hard to beat, especially at this price range!
Our top picks by Smith:
- Unisex style Redding for medium sized faces.
- Barra (for large faces) and their sister style Longfin (medium) are flatter glasses but have a shield at the sides, making them perfect for everyday and also protecting you well from wind and light.
- Finally, check out the Hookshot for a wrap around frame in beautiful colours and some striking lens colour variations.
Of course, there are many other excellent options from Smith. When looking for good watersports sunglasses, just look for a frame that wraps around or has side guards, has polarised lenses and comes in either an amber/brown lens for shallow water or a grey/blue lens for deep water.
Final Tips for the Perfect Pair of Watersports/Fishing Sunglasses
- Add a floating chord to the frame to make sure they don’t sink down below by accident!
- To choose the right size when ordering online, measure the lens and/or bridge width of your current sunglasses (if they fit well) and look for the same lens size.
- Photochromic lenses if you are spending your whole day outdoors from dawn till dusk
- Anti-fogging lenses/ventilation for more humid/hot climates
- Sunglasses with prescriptionlenses for glasses-wearers
So what are you waiting for? Check out the links above or head to our sports sunglasses shop to view our entire range of sunglasses and get your perfect water sports sunglasses while stocks last.